Whiskey decanter cleaning beads are a set of tiny steel balls that work by using friction to remove stains from the inside of glass and crystal decanters. By swirling around both the decanter cleaning beads and a small amount of water inside the bottle, the beads gently remove stuck-on stains in 1-5 minutes.
They are popular for cleaning out heirlooms and bottles without leaving harsh chemical traces behind that can affect liquids’ taste in decanters.
Can I Clean Other Things With My Whiskey Decanter Cleaning Beads?
Use your whiskey decanter cleaning beads on more than just your whiskey decanter. Use them to clean your wine decanter or any bottle you can safely get the cleaning beads into and out of. They are great for stained coffee and teapots also. Use good judgment on the thickness of the glass or crystal container you will be cleaning. If the glass is too thin, you run the risk of breaking it.
Where Do I Buy Them and What Kind Should I Get?
Decanter cleaning beads can be bought at many different stores, but Amazon offers a few options. The nice thing about cleaning beads is that they can be used over and over again. It is also recommended to buy flexible cleaning brushes that are specifically sold as a combo with the beads.
Here are a few different types of stainless steel options from Amazon.
- WEEBNG Whiskey Decanter Set – This is a great option for a gift set. It comes with stainless steel cleaning beads and a globe-shaped decanter, two glasses, whiskey cubes, and tongs.
- Simtive 1000 PCS Decanter Cleaning Beads – Contains 1000 beads for easy-to-use cleaning and is made of stainless steel.
- 3 Pieces Decanter Cleaning Brush Flexible Bottle Scourer and 400 Pieces Reusable Decanter Cleaning Beads – The cleaning brushes help get to hard-to-reach spots.
How To Use Whiskey Decanter Cleaning Beads
You will need:
- Smooth surface to work on
- Your stained whiskey decanter bottle
- Two tablespoons of warm water
- Glass or bowl
- Cleaning beads
- First make sure your whiskey decanter is empty of all it’s alcohol first.
2. Second, slightly tip the bottle to a 20-30 degree angle to make the cleaning beads easier to pour into the bottle.
3. Gently pour the whiskey decanter cleaning beads into the bottle while the bottle is slightly tipped to the 20-30 degree angle to prevent the beads from dropping and bouncing around, possibly breaking your decanter. Then set it back to the straight up and down position.
4. Pour two tablespoons of warm water into your whiskey decanter bottle with the cleaning beads.
5. Gently swirl the whiskey decanter bottle using a circular motion always making sure the bottom of the decanter is touching the smooth surface you are working on. Try and make the beads inside the bottle rotate in a full circle around the bottom of the bottle for best results.
6. Continue the gentle swirling motion for approximately 1-5 minutes depending on the stain, tipping the bottle to an angle as needed for higher up stains. It would be best if you always use gentle swirling motions to take care not to bounce any cleaning beads inside the whiskey decanter bottle or jerk them around in an agitated manner, or you could break your whiskey decanter bottle.
7. After the stain is removed from the whiskey decanter bottle, pour out the water, making sure to strain and catch the cleaning beads so they can be cleaned and reused at a later date.
Tip: if needed, use a flexible bottle cleaning brush that is specific for decanters to reach harder stains.
How to Clean Your Whiskey Decanter Cleaning Beads
You will need:
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice or vinegar
- Decanter beads
- Glass or bowl
- 1 cup warm water
1. Place whiskey decanter cleansing beads inside a glass or bowl
2. Pour warm water in until cleaning beads are half covered
3. Pour vinegar or lemon juice into the water
4. Gently swirl beads using a circular motion, making the beads inside of the glass or bowl travel around in full circles at the bottom of the bowl or glass.
5. Continue swirling 1-3 minutes until whiskey decanter beads are cleaned.
6. Drain water and remove the beads to let dry.
7. Store until next use.
Whiskey decanters are a great way to store your whiskey. They make a great conversation piece and keep your whiskey’s quality, flavor, and color similar to that of the original bottle.
Sometimes, these precious containers can get dirty inside. Getting to these hard-to-reach spots can be a pain, but luckily decanter cleaning beads can help!
If you’re looking for a simple and easy way to get rid of stains, these beads could be your best friend!