Gin is a spirit that has juniper berries as its main ingredient; other botanicals are usually added, which makes the taste of this spirit unique. The word gin comes from either Dutch or Latin origins. The distilled beverage is created all over the world, including Great Britain, U.S. and India. Read on to learn more about which regions make this drink.
What countries are known for making gin?
Almost every country in the world produces gin. Most of them make dry gins with juniper berries as the main ingredient, but countries like Russia make gins with more exotic ingredients like cranberries or even pine needles.
The main difference between the types of gin is where juniper berries are sourced from.
Some of the countries that make gin include:
- Great Britain – known for its dry gin. It’s mostly made in London, where most of the antique distilleries can be found.
- United States – use unique ingredients to create their spirit, such as bolder citrus notes. You can find some interesting flavors of this drink in U.S. bars or distilleries.
- The Netherlands – also famous for its spirit, especially the city of Schiedam which was home to many well-established distilleries. This country produces mainly Jonge (young) Genever.
- France – the only country that makes both distilled dry gin and liqueur-based Genever, which has added sugar to flavor it. The most popular genevers are produced in the southern part of the country, close to the city of Dijon.
- Spain – a country that produces mainly gin in the south of the country, close to Gibraltar. Ronda is a town in Andalusia where most of it is produced.
- Italy – another nation that makes juniper-flavored spirits. Aperitif wines are usually consumed before meals or snacks, and they’re made from grape pomace, which means that the alcohol is made from grapes and its leftover (skin, seeds, and pulp). These wines are usually sweetened with sugar. The most popular aperitifs are from north-eastern Italy, close to Venice, Trieste, and Gorizia.
- Germany – makes gin but only as a byproduct of their legal schnapps production. There are no distilleries that produce pure gin, but it’s still possible to find some, mostly in the North near Hamburg or Lubeck. These gins are usually made with neutral grain spirits and juniper berries.
- Switzerland – another nation that makes mainly distilled dry gin. The more famous brands are produced in the canton of Zug, close to Zurich.
- Sweden – also known for gin, mostly British gins, with juniper berries as the main flavor profile.
- Norway – also known for its gin, mostly juniper-forward gins made in Oslo and Bergen.
- Australia – makes mainly distilled dry gin, but there are some exceptions, like the popular Bundaberg Distilling Company, which produces a range of fruit-flavored gins.
- Russia – makes cranberry, pine needle, and other flavored gins. They’re mostly produced in the northern regions like St. Petersburg or Norilsk.
- Canada – makes dry gin like Britain, but there’s also a lot of fruit-flavored ones that are made with grain-neutral spirit. They’re mainly produced in southern Ontario, including cities like Waterloo, Windsor, and Guelph.
- India – makes both distilled dry gin and liqueur-based genever. The latter is known as Haywards 5000, which has added sugar to give it a hint of sweetness popular in India.
- New Zealand – also produces gins with juniper berries as the main flavor profile.
- China – makes dry gins with juniper berries as the main ingredient, mostly in the central provinces like Sichuan or Hunan.
Which country makes the most gin?
One of the biggest producers of gin is India. It has a long history with this spirit, and it produces some very unique formulas, such as feni, which uses palm wine instead of grain.
India makes its version of gin, which is called Haywards 5000. It’s made with sugar, and therefore it’s considered a liqueur instead of a spirit.
Britain is also a big producer of its dry gin. It’s mostly made in London, where most of the antique distilleries can be found.
Where is Tanqueray and Hendricks gin made?
Tanqueray and Hendricks are both made in England. UK-based Diageo makes Tanqueray gin. Hendricks is also made by UK-based William Grant & Sons company.
Where is honey gin made?
Honey gin is simply regular gin with honey added to give it a sweeter taste. It can be found, for example, in Germany, where they produce this type of spirit by infusing the honey into the spirit using a steeping process. This way, all the flavors from the honey can be extracted. Honey gin is also found in France and Spain, where they add sweeteners to it.
Where is ant gin made?
Ant gin is liquor, which is flavored with the extracts of ground-up ants. It’s very popular in Thailand and Cambodia, where it’s made using sugarcane or rice alcohol (so, basically clear vodka) as its base. The ants are added to this alcohol and macerated for a few days until their flavor has been fully infused into the spirit. It’s a very strong drink with an earthy, bitter flavor.
Where do they make gin with sugar?
The traditional German gin uses orange peels and sugar to sweeten it up. It’s also added to many flavored gins, such as cucumber or raspberry gins, that have a sweeter taste because of this ingredient. There are other regions, like the U.S., U.K. and India that make sugar-based gins.
Where do they make gin with potatoes?
Gins made from potatoes are usually very small productions, but it’s not impossible to find them. Most of the time, they use local ingredients that weren’t used for making gin before and create something unique that contains their country’s signature flavor. One example is Welsh potato gin which uses leeks in addition to potatoes.
Probably, one of the most popular gins that are made from potatoes is Luksusowa. This Polish spirit uses potatoes instead of grains like most other types of gin do. The potato gives it a very creamy texture and makes it sweeter than regular ones because all the starch turns into sugar once it’s distilled.
Gin is made everywhere in the world. The most popular versions are produced in Britain and India, where it has a long history. But there are types of gin that can only be found in certain countries, like ant gin. Overall, it’s a really popular spirit which is widely produced all around the globe.
Learn more about gin by reading our article How Is Gin Different From Other White Spirits?